This week I’ve created a recipe in line with the detox for this week or next. You can make this a vegan/vegetarian option by replacing the chicken with Quorn pieces or tofu and adding in some extra smoked paprika and olives. Turn up the heat with a bit more chilli if you want to and in week 2 of the summer body project, this dish will be perfect with extra greens and rice!!
I’ve created this recipe to be made using a slow cooker so it can be ready for you when you come home from a busy day at work if you don’t own one then can I highly recommend you get yourself one, you won’t regret it! There are hundreds of great slow cooker recipes now!.
They are perfect for busy lives as well as keeping all the nutrients in the food by cooking it long and slow, especially good for perfect meaty dishes, stews, soups and I’ve even started making breakfast loaf cakes in mine too!
If you don’t have one to do this recipe then you could cook on a medium to low heat in an oven proof dish for 2-3 hours.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
4-6 Chicken pieces on the bone, thighs or legs (preferably organic), 1 packet of tofu or quorn pieces for a Vegetarian/Vegan option.
100 g of good quality chorizo chopped into cubes ( cheaper brands use more sugar and preservatives) chorizo can be added to many other dishes to inject some flavour so it is worth paying a little more for, and they have a great shelf life.
100g of cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
1 pepper, any colour, de-seeded and chopped
1 large courgette , cubed
1 fresh chilli (optional) depending on how spicy you like food
1 tsp of smoked paprika
1-2 tsp of oregano
2-3 tbsp of tomato puree
100 g of mixed olives, halved
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Gather together all the ingredients , peel and chop the onion, peppers, courgette, chorizo and olives.
- Add these to the slow cooker with the herbs, spices garlic, tomato puree and stir together with a little water.
- Add in the chicken and top up again with some more tap water , just enough to cover.
- If using tofu and quorn I recommend adding this in about 30-40 minutes before serving just to heat through.
- Set the slower cooker to low and cook for around 6 hours,
- Serve with seasonal greens, rice or sweet potatoes.