WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For the soup base…
A little sesame or coconut oil to fry ,
2 Cloves of garlic (minced or finely chopped )
1 Small lump of fresh ginger (minced or finely chopped)
1 Red chilli (finely chopped)
2 -3 Tsp of turmeric powder
1 – 2 Tsp of chinese 5 spice
1 Tbsp of fresh miso paste, soy sauce or tamari
2-3 lime leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
Roughly 2 -3 pints of water
To the base we add,
1 Pepper sliced
1 Whole butternut squash,peeled and spiralized if poss
1/2 Punnet of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 Small head of broccoli sliced
A handful of frozen sweetcorn
A large handful of spinach
A large handful of sliced kale
Fresh corriander and sesame seeds to serve
Optional extras – leftover chicken or beef from a sunday roast, or 2 medium chicken breasts sliced and cooked.
A handful of rice noodles or some cooked butterbeans.
- To make the soup base prep all ingredients first
- Add your oil of choice to a large saucepan, heat gently and add to it the garlic, ginger and chilli, stir for a few seconds before adding all the dry spices,
- miso or soy and then a little water to loosen the mix.
- Heat this through gently for a few minutes before adding the remaining 2 pints of water, salt, pepper and lime leaves.
- Add to the pan the mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, squash noodles and broccoli, bring the soup to the boil and turn down to a low heat
- A few minutes before serving add in the spinach and kale and any leftover or cooked meat if using,or rice noodles or beans, garnish with fresh corriander and sesame seeds to serve.